Rasa Spa nurtures healing. Through holistic practices, Rasa Spa serves individuals undergoing cancer therapies with treatments intended to help that individual live fully in the present, experience healing touch in a safe environment, and cultivate a strong inner presence that promotes well-being and wholeness.
At Rasa Spa, the goal of oncology massage is to support the individual from the place of what is whole and healthy, to connect the individual to the present moment and reunite the body, mind, and spirit.
COST: Mindful of the financial burdens often placed on people undergoing intensive therapies, Rasa Spa offers oncology massage at a discounted rate. The goal is to provide good care.
Please call us for rates and more information.
WHAT IS ONCOLOGY MASSAGE?: Oncology Massage is a form of bodywork that supports a person who has lived with or is undergoing therapies; the massage is designed to enhance the healing process throughout the various stages of cancer and recovery.
WHAT TO EXPECT: Gentle techniques such as Myofascial Release, Lymphatic Drainage Massage, Mastectomy and Breast Massage, Reflexology, Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapy, and Reiki are employed depending on individual needs.
Oncology Massage respects the body's limits and the compromised conditions resulting from cancer and its treatments. Oncology Massage promotes and honors the healing process while strictly avoiding any re-traumatizing of the body.
BENEFITS: The benefits of oncology massage mirror the benefits of massage, but oncology massage offers the distinct opportunity to honor the self during a difficult time. Through accepting self value, the person can become more available to other people and to the experience of living.
Oncology Massage can help with a broad range of symptoms including:
aches and pains
fatigue, stress and exhaustion
nausea, diarrhea, and constipation
insomnia and lack of appetite
various other side effects of chemotherapy and radiation
Treatments have been reported to:
strengthen compromised body organs and systems
enhance feelings of well being
support and boost the immune system
Oncology Massage Therapies at Rasa Spa
During the sessions, clients are positioned carefully to accommodate any surgical or radiation sites or devices such as ports for chemotherapy infusions.
Each session is individually tailored to specific needs on that day and at that moment, respecting specific healing processes and individuality.
In addition to on-site treatments, clients are educated in self-care techniques to be performed at home which are designed to enhance strength, flexibility, movement and postural awareness.
Depending on condition, needs, and preferences the frequency of Oncology Massage sessions may vary from monthly to one or more times a week.
* Myofascial Release is effective when the facia has become tight or restricted due to the cumulative effects of habitual stress injuries or the trauma of surgery. Fascia is a weblike matrix that surrounds and attaches to all structures in the body. With a gentle touch the fascia is heated, loosened, and stretched, eliminating pain, removing tension and promoting fluidity and range of motion.
* Lymphatic Drainage Therapy is a technique to manually encourage lymph flow. The body naturally moves the lymph through breath, movement, blood, and peristalsis of the intestines. Once a lymph node has been removed or irradiated it can put an individual at risk for Lymphedema. In such cases, the body can lose its capacity to effectively transport the lymphatic fluids in the affected area. Left unaddressed, this can cause a back-up of fluid leading to swelling which can eventually cause an irreversible loss of mobility, permanent fibrosis, systemic infection and possible loss of limb. Lymphatic Drainage Therapy assists the flow of lymphatic fluid through a slow, repetitive, rhythmic massage using light strokes, moving the skin and connective tissue to bring about a gentle pumping action throughout the tissues.
* Mastectomy and Breast Massage include critical massage techniques in promoting healthy breast tissue. The breasts consist of glandular tissue, connective tissue (fascia), and 60% of breast tissue is fat. Stagnation in breast tissue results in toxicity and fat provides the perfect environment for storing waste. Lymph is responsible for 75% of detoxification of the breast tissue, when compromised by node removal, lack of movement and stress, the breast tissue is at high risk for disease, pain, soreness, edema, and scarring. Mastectomy and Breast Massage will encourage removal of residual side effects of chemotherapy, radiation, and anesthesia by assisting in the flow of lymph, blood, and oxygen. Gentle strokes are aimed at redirecting lymph flow, loosening fascia and scar tissue. Focused intention on health and love will enhance immune system response, restore emotional balance, increase range of motion, and introduce mindfulness, emotional release, and self care.
* Reflexology is a massage technique involving the application of pressure to specific points on the feet and hands. These points or reflex zones correspond to specific organs, muscles and glands of the body. By stimulating these reflex zones, the correlating areas stimulated to encourage relaxation and restore the body's natural state of homeostasis.
* Biodynamic Cranial Sacral Therapy is an extraordinarily gentle modality that works with the rhythms directly associated with the flow of spinal fluid in the central nervous system. These rhythms can be corrupted as a result of trauma and this imbalance can result in patterns that inhibit the body's natural healing mechanisms. BCST is effective in releasing physical, emotional, and spiritual forms of inertia.
* Reiki is a holistic therapy designed to bring about healing on physical, mental, emotional and spiritual levels. It is considered an energy healing that focuses on balancing and harmonizing the body's energy fields. Administered with gentle holds on the body, concentrated touch, alternating movement, vibration and stillness, this modality encourages deep rest and a profound sense of well-being.